The school has been polished and prepped for a new year, and we are eager to see the halls teeming with students once again. Until then, we have many details to inform you about. If you do not find answers here, check our website www.illianachristian.org . If you still wonder, give us a call at 708-474-0515.
SCHEDULE CHANGES: First semester schedules are available through ParentsWeb. The counselors will be in the office the week of August 14. If any changes are needed, please email your requests to your counselor. Some changes can be made after school starts but only under very limited conditions. Students whose last names begin with the letters A-K, contact Mrs. Helen Bussema (firstname.lastname@example.org) and those whose last names beginning with letters L-Z, contact Mr. Neil Zandstra (email@example.com).
FRESHMEN ORIENTATION: Freshmen orientation will be held on Tuesday morning, August 22, from 7:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (this is for freshmen students only). We will begin in the auditorium. A lunch (hot dogs) and snack will be provided. That morning you will receive another copy of your schedule, your textbooks, and your Chromebook. You will run through your classes and meet each of your teachers.
AP CHEMISTRY STUDENTS: You should have received an email explaining the pre-course expectations. You will need to stop in the office to pick up your AP Chemistry textbook. If you did not receive this information it is linked to the website.
TEXTBOOKS: Textbooks must be checked out of the Media Center. Freshmen receive them at orientation on August 22. Sophomores, juniors and seniors should pick them up on Wednesday, August 16, from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. If you miss these times, come to the Media Center after school on Wednesday, August 23.
BIG BROTHER/BIG SISTER: This program is for incoming freshmen who are not from the feeder schools and for transfer students. The Big Brother/Big Sister Ice Cream Social will be at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, August 21, in the dining room. The parents of these students are also invited at the same time to join us for a New Parent Orientation. More information will be sent in mid-August.
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL: The first day of school is Wednesday, August 23 (½ day session). Students will report to homeroom by 7:45 a.m. We will follow an abbreviated schedule for each class. School will be dismissed at 12:15 p.m. Returning students will have received their schedule when they picked up their textbooks. Additional copies will cost $1.00.
FALL PLAY: The Drama Department will present Emma, Jane Austen's romantic comedy about the mischievous Emma Woodhouse, who plays matchmaker of Highbury to comically disastrous effect before, in the end, all is set right. The play will provide opportunity for a large number of students to get involved both on the stage and with crews. Students interested in auditioning should familiarize themselves with the story this summer. Audition materials will be available in the school office or on the school website in the beginning of August. Auditions will be held in the auditorium on August 24 & 25 from 3:00 – 5:00pm.
PICTURES: Underclassmen will have their pictures taken on Thursday, August 31. Seniors will be able to have photo retakes on September 19 and 20. Seniors, please see Mr. De Vries about scheduling a time.
BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT: Parents are invited to come to school to visit the classrooms on Thursday, September 7, at 7:00 p.m.
BUSINESS OFFICE REMINDERS:
- Foundation Fund Earning Form: Please complete and return to the school office no later than September 30th; late forms will not be accepted.
- EFT Form: If you prefer to have Illiana withdraw your monthly payment from your checking/savings account on the 12th of each month, please complete and return this form to the school office with your August payment. EFT payments will be begin with your September payment, please remit cash or check for your August payment.
- Tuition: Every family should pay the first of eleven monthly tuition payments by August 15. The monthly payment is $830.
STUDENT INSURANCE: Illiana does not have medical insurance coverage for your child. If your child is hurt, even if at school, we do not have a policy to cover that injury. We expect that all our families will have their own health insurance.
PHYSICAL FORMS: Forms for all freshmen must be turned in to the office. Athletic physicals for upper classmen involved in any sport must be turned in before tryouts for that sport begin.
PARENTS OF SENIORS: If your student is planning to attend the class trip this fall in October, the fee of $600.00 (updated fee) will be due September 13. More information will be coming shortly after school starts.
HANDBOOK: The Parent-Student Handbook contains important information regarding academics and student life here at Illiana Christian High School. It is included in the Student Planner. Each student will receive a Planner on the first day of school, during homeroom. The Handbook is also on the Student Life page of our website.
DIRECTORY: The directory is available on RenWeb. Log in to ParentsWeb and click on the Directory option on the left side of the screen under “School Information”. You may search by Family or School Staff. The School Staff option will display all faculty and staff and their contact information, including email addresses.
PARKING: All student drivers are required to register their vehicles for the 2017-2018 school year. This includes both paid (reserved) and unpaid (non-reserved) parking spaces. The Lansing Police Department is requiring all students parking on the property (including Oak Glen’s lot and along Indiana Ave.) to register their cars with the school. The blue registration tags will be sent soon. A list of those who have signed up for parking is attached to this email. If you would like a parking tag and are NOT on this list, complete the form and turn it in to the office.
MOMS IN PRAYER: Moms In Prayer International, will be meeting once again, praying for the students, the staff and all the activities of the school. Our first meeting will be on August 28 at 9:00 a.m. in room 211. Moms and grandmothers are welcome. MIPI will continue meeting for one hour at 9:00 a.m. on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Mondays of each month that school is in session. If you have any questions, call June Kamp at 219-577-3662 or Chris Buiter at 708-474-7144.
ICHS Golf Outing: The Illiana Christian Golf Outing will be on Monday, September 18, 2017 at Idlewild Country Club in Flossmoor, IL. Please call the athletic office at 708-474-0515, ext. 14 if interested in golfing or sponsorship. Click here to view the brochure or to sign up. More participants are welcome!
SECURITY: After the school day has started, the doors will be locked. Late students and visitors will need to be buzzed in by the office staff. Late students must sign in and receive a pass. Visitors are required to sign in at the main office and wear an identification badge. They must sign out when they leave.
Parents Involved in Education (P.I.E.) is Illiana’s fundraising organization which raises funds for the Excellence in Education program. To encourage participation, each Illiana family is assessed a “P.I.E. fee” of $200, which is billed on the tuition statement. When you volunteer the required amount of time, you will receive a credit to offset this fee. Information from the P.I.E. Board, will be sent in a separate email. There you will find important information regarding volunteer positions, volunteer sign-up, the SCRIP program, the lunch program, and contact information.
22 Freshmen 1st Day
23 All Students 1st Day
24 & 25 Auditions for the
Fall Play - Emma
31 Underclassmen Pictures
4 Labor Day/No School
7 Freshmen Breakfast
7 Back to School Night
13 Iron Oaks Leadership Summit
18 Golf Outing
19 & 20 Sr. Retakes
27 See You at the Pole
ATTENTION ALL PARENTS OF ILLIANA ATHLETES
- 8TO18.COM: All athletes must be registered on 8to18.com for their sport BEFORE tryouts begin. If you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PHYSICALS: If your student plans to try out for any sport (fall, winter, or spring) they must have a physical form turned in to the school before tryouts for that particular team begin. For freshmen, the Illinois Department of Health Form required for school entrance is sufficient for athletics for the freshman year. Thereafter, physicals are required each year.
- TRAINER FEES: The Athletic Department will be enlisting the services of a professional sports trainer. The trainer will be available at many of the home events and after school on practice days to provide athletes with prompt treatment as well as preventative measures such as taping, bracing, etc. Every student who participates in athletics at Illiana will be assessed a fee of $40.00 per sport to help defray the expense of such a program. This fee will be added to your tuition statement.
FALL SPORTS 2017-2018 TRYOUT INFORMATION
- BOYS & GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY-SUMMER CAMP: The Cross Country Camp will be in Brookston, IN, August 14 - 18. The cost is $325. Contacts: Coach Deb Top: Phone: (219)-775-6670/email: email@example.com. Coach Jim Piaskowy Phone: (708) 404-5491/email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GOLF: Qualifying rounds (tryouts) for the 2017 golf team will begin Monday, August 7. The home course is Palmira in St. John, IN. To get on Coach’s contact list, please register online at Coach’s Information . If you have any questions, please contact the varsity coach, Mr. Jack Rudenga, at 219-765-8285 or email@example.com.
- GIRLS TENNIS: Tryouts will begin August 14 at our courts. Frosh/Soph girls: August 14 – 16, 3:00-5:00 p.m. Varsity: August 14 - 16, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Practice will continue through Friday for both teams. For more information contact Coach Rob Lagerwey (708-331-3606).
- GIRLS VOLLEYBALL: Tryouts will be August 14, 15, 16. Freshmen: 2:30-5:00 p.m. Sophomores, juniors, seniors: 6:00-8:00 p.m. Required daily practice will follow for all teams. If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Deb Kamp at school (ext. 25).
- BOYS SOCCER: Boys soccer tryouts are August 9, 10 & 11 from 5:00-7:00 pm.
- COACHING OPPORTUNITY: Illiana is looking for an assistant F/S soccer coach for the fall. Please call or email Darren DeBoer, Athletic Director, if you are interested, 708-474-0515 ext. 14 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the midst of all these details, let’s remain focused on what is of greater importance to us all. Pray for the school, our teachers, and our families that this school year will be a blessing to God and will expand His kingdom in hearts and hallways. We are not the only ones preparing for a new school year; the Spirit of God is also at work here.
2261 INDIANA AVENUE, LANSING, IL 60438 PHONE 708.474.0515 FAX 708.474.0581