Illiana Christian High School’s music education program includes both orchestral, symphonic styles and jazz, performance band styles. Students who are passionate about and gifted in instrumental arts will find our program to be high quality and fun. The bands we offer at Illiana include Peb Band, Jazz Band, Marching Band, and Drum Line. Flag Corps is a group who accompanies the Marching Band and Drum Line during parades. If you are searching for other instrumental music experience, head on over to our Orchestra page!
- Pep Band: Pep Band is based on voluntary membership of anyone enrolled in the Instrumental Music Program at Illiana. It meets during the second quarter using club periods for rehearsals and as needed after that time. Pep Band performs during home basketball games, and creates a lively, school-spirit filled atmosphere. Student chant and dance along while the Pep Band does what it was meant to do–bring the pep!
- Jazz Band: Jazz Band is an extracurricular band that meets every Wednesday from 3:00 until 4:00 pm. It is made up of a saxophone section, trumpet section, trombone section, and a rhythm section. Occasionally Jazz Band also has a vocalist. Jazz Band plays in four of the Music Department’s yearly concerts. In addition to this, they play for contests, banquets, festivals, and retirement homes throughout the year. They have also played for a Chicago Fire Soccer game. The Jazz Band travels and plays in more places than any other Illiana Instrumental group. Jazz band members are selected from Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior members of Illiana’s Bands.
- Marching Band: The “Marching Vikings” are comprised of the combined Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, Flag Corps, Rifle Squad, and Color Guard. It boasts a membership of 130 strong and marches in local parades as well as traveling to other parades in the spring, e.g. Holland, MI, Tulip Time and Pella, IA, Tulip Festival, etc. Wearing Illiana green and white, the Marching Vikings proudly represent our school at these events.
- Drum Line: The drum line is made up of percussionists from Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band. They meet during club periods from the end of February until May. They must learn parts to the musical numbers and marching cadences played when players are resting. The Drum Line holds down the beat and creates a rhythm for the Marching Vikings. Joining this band is another high level opportunity and prepares students well for a future in music.
- Flag Corps: The Flag Corps is a drill squad that performs precision routines with the Marching Band. Practice clinics followed by auditions begin third quarter and rehearsals continue through parades in May. Practices are during club period twice each week. Helping to beautify our Marching Vikings and add to the clean, well-practiced look of our Marching Band, the Flag Corps is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to join!
If you would like any further information regarding instrumental music at Illiana, contact Pat Menninga and email@example.com. For schedules of practice, concerts, or other performances, you can view our calendar here.
We are proud of Illiana Christian High School’s music program and the talented bands and choirs we have. If you would like more information regarding choral music at Illiana, please visit our choir page.